Saturday, February 5, 2011

Coop Additions

In response to the bitter cold we had this past week, I changed a few things for the coop.  I took the heat lamp out as soon as it got above freezing during the day, but I plan to put it back whenever it stays below freezing for more than a day.  Chicken wuss, sure.  But they're my pets.

I also added some straw to the nest boxes and an entire bale of straw to the run to give them something to do and keep the run from getting so muddy.  Within 30 seconds of putting the bale in the coop, all five hens were investigating the situation.  Layla even played king of the hay bale for a few minutes squaking around on top of the thing.  Silly chickens.

I wrapped a good portion of the run to give the girls a place to get out of the wind when they are outside.
I picked this side to wrap since it would also help protect their food from getting wet.  

I used a canvas painting drop cloth to wrap the run.  It was 4 ft by 15 ft.

I also wrapped a plastic painting drop cloth under the canvas to help keep that section of the run dry.

The old girls.

Hay Bale

Some hay added to the nest boxes.

Chicken fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment