Friday, October 1, 2010

We bought a coop!

It's happening!  We purchased a chicken coop today... actually, make that three chicken coops.  Crazy?  Yes.  MyPetChicken is currently having a sale on coops, and we went for it.  We bought two Foursquares and one Saltbox for our future ladies.  I was totally ready to build a coop using a plan, but this deal was too good to pass up.  The price wasn't much higher than we were expecting to pay for lumber and supplies.  Plus, my husband and I know nothing about construction, so building a coop would have been quite the event.  So once we factored in time, supplies, and potential (probable) errors, we decided it would be better to just start with some pre-made coops.

We are planning to hook the two Foursquares together to make a larger run area and give our flock more space.  We are also going to dig around the base and bury some mesh wire to predator-proof the coop.  We are thinking about keeping the Saltbox as a hospital/broody house, but we are also considering putting it on Craigslist.  We'll see what they look like when they actually get here.

I'm so excited, and I don't know if I'm going to be able to last until spring to get chicks.  There are some Rhode Island Red pullets in town for sale on Craigslist, and I am very tempted to buy two as soon as we get the coops.  Now I just have to convince Derek.

No comments:

Post a Comment