Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Surprise!

I took today off from work because I haven't been feeling too well.  Shortly after he left for work, Derek calls me and says, "Can I bring home two chicks?  They're Buff Orpingtons."  Well, of course I said yes!  Chicks!  How cool!

So I spent the next few hours running around town getting everything I need to set up a brooder and care for two tiny chicks.  I went to Colorado Agri-Feed and bought a small bucket of starter feed, a brooder lamp, and a brooder bulb.  Then I went to Lowe's and bought a 30 gal storage bin.  It's 18 inches deep, so they'll be able to stay in there until they are ready to move outside.  I put in a chick safe water container and two small dishes of chick chow.  I also added some chunks of 2x4 for a roost.

The chicks are exactly one week old today.  They were hatched from McMurray Hatchery on 10/27/10.  Derek brought them home right after school, and we plopped them right into to brooder and they found the water and food within a minute.  They are active, and peeping cheerfully!



Layla

Yadi

All three big girls ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment